Originally two cottages: a Thatched cottage, likely to have been built in the 16th/17th Century, and a slate roofed cottage of early Victorian origin, Old Church Cottage sits adjacent to the Mediaeval Tower of the old Chapel of Ease of Long Marston, and its’ Church Yard. The earliest deeds in the present owner’s possession date back to 1759, when the Thatched cottage was in the ownership of the Manor of Tring. Earlier records indicate the humble workman’s cottage as likely to have been owned by the Lord of the Manor, Samuel Bromley of Long Marston. Lord Rothschild, in 1894, as Lord of the Manor of Great Tring, with the Members, sold the cottage to a Mr E.F. Gregory. From thence onwards the cottage has changed hands several times, with, in more recent years, owners having a bias towards literary association. Mary Grieve, editor of Woman Magazine lived here and years later, another owner being the night editor of The Independent. The present owners herald from the medical world; a retired General Practitioner and Health Visitor from Harrow.
Article by John Noakes.