Tiscot had a chapel which was pulled down in1661. Until 1748 the hamlets of Tiscot, Betlow and Aldwick were in the parish of Marsworth.
The original church of Long Marston was to the west of the village, at the end of chapel lane and was pulled down except for its embattled tower, in 1883. The church probably dates back to the twelfth century but when it was pulled down the oldest remaining part was from the 14th, century consisting of a Nave, Chancel, south porch and west Tower. When originally built the church had a high pitched roof but this was changed during repairs in the 16th century to a flat pitched one when also the final stage of the tower was built. Architects recommended in 1881 that the site should be abandoned as the church was in a dangerous state due to use of unseasoned oak in the roof and saturation of the foundations by water from lack of gutters and the mote on the northern side.
The present church was built on the north side of the village at a cost of £4000, on land given by the then lord of the manor, Lord Rothschild. The new building was built of stone in a Gothic style, using parts of the old church, including in the north aisle, fifteenth-century piscina and two fourteenth-century windows. The clustered columns, high moulded bases and organ came from Tring Church. The columns at Tring church were replaced by the Victorians as they considered that they were not strong enough.
The new church was consecrated in 1883 but was left unfinished until 1888 due to lack of funds. A church tower on the west side of the church was planed but not built.
In 1898 Lord Rothschild gave to the parish the new cemetery.
In 1906 the church became dangerous due to foundations and the roof giving way, and was closed for two years for repairs.
The Long Marston Rectory
Before 1871 the living was a perpetual curacy annexed to Tring, but in 1871 2½ acres was given by the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church Oxford for a new rectory. Work commenced in 1882 and it was finished in 1883 at a cost of £2400. It consisted of 5 bedrooms, drawing room, dining room Study, Kitchen, scullery up and down stairs WC and Bathroom. Outside there were stables and a garage. A May pole was erected in the grounds at some time, as its presence was reported in a Bucks Herald of 1888. The Rectory was sold in 1971 and demolished to build the 17 houses of Church View. A new Rectory was built at the Wilstone end of Watery Lane.
Puttenham Church (St. Mary)
The church is to the north of the road and dates from at least 1300. The present building is in early Tudor style and consists of a nave, chancel, porch and north and south aisles. The aisles were built on to the earlier stone structure towards the end of the 14th century and the present porch was built in 1889. The chancel was re built in 1851 and is externally faced with flint. The upper tower and porch were re built, the south aisle roof renewed and a new floor laid down in the chancel in 1889. In 1911 the tower and parts of the church were shored up due to settlement and cracks. Between 1952 and 1963 the church was badly neglected. In 1962 lead from the north aisle roof was stolen. The south aisle suffered the same fate in 1972 and the north aisle again in 1979 when the thieves were interrupted and abandoned the lead and their stolen loary.
The Puttenham Rectory
The old rectory was built in XXXX and still stands as a private house. It was enlarged in 1894 and at that time the grounds extended to 194 acres.
The Long Marston Parish was formed in 1867 from parts of the ecclesiastical parishes of Tring Herts and Drayton Beauchamp and Marsworth Bucks. Wilstone was added to form civil parish of Tring Rural in 1894.
The parishes of Long Marston and Puttenham were united in 1911.
Article written by Oliver Matthews.